Michigan became a State 1837

JANUARY 26, 1837. In Washington, DC, President Andrew Jackson signs the bill making Michigan the nation's twenty-sixth state.

What was later to become Warren Township didn't come into existence until 1837.   Better and better houses replaced log cabins.

Warren became the 36 square mile square Hickory Township also in 1837.

Shelters were replaced with log cabins which were replaced by better and better houses.

  Gerald Neil in his History of Warren states “On April 3, 1837 an undetermined number of citizens met at the home of Louis Groesbeck to organize the government of Hickory Township…This first meeting chose as its Chairman Avery Denison; as its Clerk, Samuel Gibbs; as Election Inspectors, Louis Beaufait, Alonzo Haight, and Jenison Glazier.”  The first township officers were: Supervisor was Samuel Gibbs, Clerk Alonzo Haight; Justices of the Peace, Alonzo Haight, Lyman Rhodes, Samuel Gibbs, and John Barton.  The town board was made up of Samuel Gibbs, Alonzo Haight, John Barton and Lyman Rhodes.  There was no treasurer for the first two years.  This information is from the Village records and also recorded in Gerald Neil's Book. 

The legislature gave to Orange Township the east five square mile sections of Hickory Township (Warren).

In 1838 the five sections were restored and Hickory Township was renamed Aba Township.

Eleven months later Aba was allowed to adopt the name of Warren Township.  We do not know for which Warren the township was named after.  It could have been named after revolutionary War Hero General Joseph Warren 1741-1775 who died at the Battle of Bunker Hill or after a warm hearted local reverend.  We think that Harold Stilwell favored the ladder but the big problem in history is that people fail to write it down and preserve it.

A stage ran from Detroit to Utica.  Beebe’s was about half way. 

Mr. A Bielman ran The Warren Hotel located at the northeast corner of Mound and Chicago roads.

Van Dyke was a fairly straight dirt road by 1840. The name Van Dyke was from the family that had a big farm on Van Dyke further to the South and a member of that family James A Van Dyke had been elected mayor of Detroit. It was named that about 1885.  Even later it was named the Earl memorial highway.

The population of Warren Township was 249 in 1837, 337 in 1840, and 421 in 1845. The new immigrants were mostly farmers, from New England.

The following was excerpted from Leeson's History of Macomb County, Michigan, pp.852ff. “The township of Warren was erected under the name of Hickory March 11, 1837. Under an act approved April 2, 1838, all that portion of Macomb known as Sections 12, 13, 24, 25 and 36 in Township 1 north, of Range 12 east, was set off from the town of Orange and annexed to the town of Hickory. Under the same act, the name of the township of Hickory was changed to that of Aba. It retained this name until March 25, 1838, when it received its present title -- Warren. The first town meeting was held at the house of Louis Groesbeck, April 3, 1837, with Avery Dennison, Moderator; Samuel Gibbs, Clerk; Louis Beaufait, Alonzo Haight and Jenison F. Glazier, Inspectors of Election. Samuel Gibbs was elected Supervisor; Alonzo Haight, Clerk; Louis L. Beaufait, Collector; Harris Corey, Loring Hawley, L. L. Beaufait, Assessors; Peter Gillett, John H. Barton, Loring Hawley, Commissioners of Highways; Northrup Jones and Louis Groesbeck, Overseers of the Poor; James N. Bruce, with Beaufait and Corey, were elected Constables. Avery Dennison, Sam Gibbs, Lyman E. Rhodes, Commissioners of Schools. “

The village of Warren in this township was settled at an early day. It is twelve miles southwest of Mt. Clemens and fourteen north of Detroit. Its location is within a half mile of the D. & B.C.R.R., which renders the place a suburb of Detroit. It is a fine agricultural section, which is devoted to farming, market gardening, grain, vegetables and fruit. There are Methodist and Lutheran churches, a district school and a steam feed mill and foundry in the hamlet. Its conservatism in respect to population is remarkable. The census returns of 1880 credit it with being the center of 150 people. Similar returns for years past have accorded to the little hamlet precisely the same number. Among the early settlers were the Groesbecks, Joseph Jerome, Harris Corey, Joseph Mosho and George Bolam, many of whom have left families, members of which still reside in the township. Among the business and professional men of the village are John Ames, Milo Ames, Oliver Barton, J. L. Beebe, C. Davy, William Cole, D. L. Case, Frink & Murthum, L. Groesbeck, Silas E. Halsey, John Hartman, Rev. A Harwood, W. Helzenger, E. Lawrence, F. McCall, William McMullen, Judson C. Mason, E. Mores, C. Sanderson, Edward Tharrett, G.B. Walker, G. Whitten, Rev. William Young.”

Warren Village had wooden planked sidewalks and the streets were lit with gasoline lamps that required the services of a lamplighter.  A.C. Lyons and Frank J. Licht both served in this capacity.  They were replaced with electric lamps in 1913.

In 1849 Gottlieb and Susan Bunert bought the 80-acre farm now known as the Bunert-Weier Farm.  They built a log cabin.  The brick house was built in 1876, the barn in 1883 and the carriage garage in 1892.  They farmed the land, raised livestock and had their own sawmill.  This was Warren’s last working farm. 

On the land behind the farm was a long flat hill that long ago may have been an Indian burial site.  The family also told Wesley Arnold that after the farm was subdivided some of the new neighbors complained about the farm guinea hens and chickens making noise in the morning.  The neighbors wanted to shut down the farm.  The Weier family patiently asked them didn’t they not see the chickens running around, and hadn’t they heard about the rooster going cockle doodle do in the morning when they were in school and so why did they buy property next to a working farm that had been working for over 100 years and not expect a few sounds in the morning. 

By late 1840’s the government land was soon sold out and owners of large tracts of land were reselling their original grant lands. 

About 1850 a group representing the Warren Township outpost of St Peters Evangelical Church of halfway met in the old Methodist Church across mound Road.  In 1864 they organized St Paul Evangelical Church.  The impressive building was built in 1894.  It had a steeple that towered 35 feet above the belfry but lightening destroyed the steeple in 1921.  Records were kept in German just like the sister church St Clement church that had records in German and Latin.  See historian Wesley Arnold's CD of Warren-Center Line Records which has pictures of all of the old grave stones in both Warren's Union Cemetery and St Clement's Cemetery.  These two cemeteries hold most of the remains of the pioneers of Warren.  The Warren Union Cemetery has 325 graves that date from the 19th Century. 

 In 1872 Alex J Groesbeck was born in a farmhouse near 12 mile and  Mound.  He later went on to become the 30th Governor of the State of Michigan in 1921 and the first three term Governor. He was noted for "bringing Michigan out of the mud" by initiating the state's modern system of highways.  M-97, also known as Groesbeck Highway is named in his honor.  He died in 1953.

1851 sewing machine invented and by 1860 100,000 were sold.

1852 cast iron stoves were becoming common.

1854 the first of four St, Clement churches was built on Van Dyke between Church Street

1861 bicycle,

In 1863 Joseph Buechel built the first general store at Ten Mile and State Road in Center Line

1867 typewriter. 1878 practical light bulb, 1884 fountain pen invented

By 1875 Beebe’s corners had two churches a school and several businesses.

The State Road was located on present day Sherwood road.  The little settlement located near what is now Ten mile road and Sherwood was called Kunrod’s corners.  The corners became a stage stop between Detroit and Utica.  The horse drawn stage fare was about 75 cents to Detroit or Utica and double that to Romeo.  It is believed that Kunrod’s was settled in the 1830’s perhaps a little later than Beebe’s.

In 1850 the population of Warren Township was 700-750.  There was even quicker growth as population figures show.  997 in 1854, 1335 in 1860, 1468 in 1864, 1938 in 1870, 2214 in 1874, 2401 in 1880, 2384 in 1884, 2423 in 1890, 2592 in 1894.